Smilin' Through gave Norma a chance to play dual roles of two women living in different centuries. It's about fueding families that have been at odds for many years since the death of Moonyean by her rival lovers, John Carteret and Jeremy Wayne. John, played by Leslie Howard has lead a solitary life for thirty years since the death of his betrothed. But now, a close friend, insists that he care for his niece, Kathleen, also played by Norma, orphaned when her parents were lost at sea. Kathleen is the image of Moonyeen.
|Kathleen meets and falls in love with Kenneth Wayne, played by Frederic March. John is horrified for it was Wayne's father who shot Moonyeen dead on her wedding day and John has never found him or forgiven the family. Before Ken leaves to fight in World War I, John forbids any marriage and Ken agrees. When Ken returns four years later after the end of the war, he is crippled and conceals his condition and making plans to leave for America. However, Kathleen sees through this and finally at the end of his life, John gives his blessing to the couple.
The cast includes:
- Norma Shearer .... Kathleen & Moonyeen
- Fredric March .... Kenneth Wayne & Jeremy Wayne
- Leslie Howard .... Sir John Carteret
- O.P. Heggie .... Dr. Owen
- Ralph Forbes .... Willie Ainley
- Beryl Mercer .... Mrs. Crouch
- Margaret Seddon .... Ellen, the Maid
- Forrester Harvey .... Orderly